Tuesday, October 2, 2012

This week's Recipes and Grocery Shopping on a budget

Can't wait to get cooking this week!  I went to the Costco last night for our usual 2 week grocery shopping endeavor.  I am starting to perfect Grocery Shopping on a budget!  Here is my normal process:
1.  Make an excel spreadsheet.  In the first tab I put the name of the recipe I want to make and the ingredients needed for that recipe.  I go through the ingredients and highlight what I need to buy at certain places.  For example: whether I can get it at Costco or Foodland, basically if I can buy it in bulk or if it would be best to get more of the individual size for the item.  If I don't highlight it then I probably have it on hand at home.

2.  Next, after I list my recipes and highlight the items needed.  I move to the 2nd tab and start my grocery list.  I make two columns one for Costco and one for Foodland.  I copy and past the items in each category.  I also add generic items I need to buy that we normally get to my Costco list.

3.  Now that I have my list and recipe ingredients I am set!  I started this last night and I think I will continue this...I went to Costco with my list printed out, a pen, and a calculator.  As I picked up each item, I wrote the price of the item next to it on my list.  This way I could compare certain things as I saw them.  For example: Zucchini was $4.99 for 4 of them and Cucumbers were $3.99 for 3.  Zucchini would have been a better deal but we haven't had cucumbers in awhile so I switched it up!  Another example:  I wanted to buy Ahi Tuna, the fresh nice steaks were $20.49 and the frozen bag of prepackaged tuna steaks were $15.29, I went with the frozen I think it was more for my buck.

4.  Lastly, once I had all of my items I added them up on the calculator to see where I was sitting.  If I would need to put things back or change certain items.  My total came too $261 and some change, which was perfect!  I allotted myself $300 to spend on groceries, this left me with a little extra to spend at Foodland for the other miscellaneous items I need for my recipes.  When I went to ring up with the cashier my total came to $262 and some change, so I was very close!

5.  Our fridge is stocked now.  Just need to make a trip to Foodland on Thursday (my day off) and then I can start making some delicious recipes. The ones I plan on making which I will post more details of as I cook them and their recipe links are: Creamy Chicken Casserole, Paleo Butternut Lasanga, Paleo Pineapple Crockpot ribs, Bratwurst & German Potato (turnips) Salad, and Spicy Pineapple Chili.  I am on a pineapple kick because my mom says I need to eat more of it since we live in Hawaii ha, so might as well make some recipes with it in it.  Then when she comes to visit, I know exactly what to make!

Hope this helps to all those pinching pennies like me!  More to come this week with recipes and some pictures as well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment