Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Tweaking Paleo for the Individual

Getting Paleo right...

During my experience during the Whole30, I think the toughest part was knowing how much food to eat would be right for me.  I went by there measurements stated: 1-2 palms of protein, the rest of the plateful of veggies, and 1-2 thumbs of fat.  I tried to follow this at every meal but still I don't think I was or am doing the correct amounts for myself.  I know I am probably eating more than the needed amount of fat and possibly the amount of protein as well.  I don't think you can overdo the veggies and I barely eat much fruit.  If I eat any high density carbs, it is sweet potatoes but we don't eat those every single day (Even though I would love too haha).  

Through watching many videos on Crossfit Journal, I think I am going to give the Zone Diet a try along with eating Paleo.  So technically it would be called the Paleo Zone Diet.  This approach basically imports a balance of carbs, proteins, and fats in every meal (Zone Rx 40 carb, 30 protein, 30 fat).  

Crossfit Impulse simplifies the diet in the below article:
--It also has a PDF attached that breaks down foods into 1 block and you can put together your own blocks.  I will probably use this as a good reference for myself.

After watching Simple Nutrition Parts 1-5 by E.C. Synkowski on Crossfit Journal, I figured out my Lean Body Mass in order to kind of assess how many blocks I should have.

To find that you take your weight (138 for me) X your body fat % (18$ or .18) which equals out to be about 25 lbs.  Which would mean my LBM = 113 lbs.  When looking at the table below.  I figured I'd be between the 11-14 blocks range.  I think I am going to start with 11 and go up from there depending on how I feel with that range.


zone chart


For my husband, I think he will want to be at the 21 mark since he is trying to gain some mass and muscle.  This is going to take some more preparation.  I want to slim down the amount of nuts I eat and add fish oil to my diet for sure.  I have to finish the granola that I made before I do this, I am big on not wasting any food!  We do need to go grocery shopping this weekend, so I am going to try to plan out for 1 week of meals using the Zone method and see how it goes!  I will post my plan as soon as I have it all figured out.

P.S.: A subscription to CrossFit Journal is a MUST!!  I recently obtained one because I signed up for CrossFit Level 1 coaching certification and I love it.  There is so much information on there, it is endless!  I have been watching tons of videos on Paleo and the Zone Diet, Bettering my Olympic lifts, and also listening to CrossFit radio starting from the beginnning back in 2004.  I HIGHLY recommend it.  Just go to: http://journal.crossfit.com/  Its only 25$ for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment